Cubify’s Invent™ 3D modelling software by 3DSystems is designed for entry-level/beginner CAD designers. It can be used to design and create 3D models for your 3D printer. The software that comes with you Cube 2 or Cube 3 does not let you design 3D printing models, its functionality is limited to loading existing 3D model files to your Cube 3D printer.
The Invent software has an easy-to-use interface allowing you to create geometric designs that you can then export ready for 3D printing. You can import existing models and edit them, or start your own design. Cubify Invent™ has a useful tool showing the edit history, so changes can be made back at any previous point. Your finished design can then be exported in STL file format, to be transferred to your desktop 3D printer for printing.
Cubify Invent files get saved as .fun files. You can also export a file in .stl format and import .STEP, .IGES, .SAT, and Solidworks file formats. Cubify Invent allows the creation and loading of single parts. If your imported file contains multiple parts, you will not be able to load it into Cubify Invent. Cubify Invent does not open mesh models such as .STL or .OBJ, though it can export to .STL. Check out Cubify Sculpt for opening your .STL files.
Cubify Invent is meant to streamline your 3D printing process, and does not have any 2D drawing tools. Check out Cubify Design for 2D drawings.
Supported operating systems
- Windows® XP SP3 Professional Edition or Home Edition
- Windows® Vista (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows® 7 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Windows® 8 (32-bit or 64-bit)
- Intel Pentium or equivalent processor: 2 GHz or faster
- RAM: 1-2 GB
- 1024 x 768 minimum screen resolution (1280 x 1024 or greater recommended)
- 64 MB or higher video card with DirectX 9.0c or later
- Color: 32-bit
- 500 MB available hard disk space
- 1 GB virtual memory
- Mouse or pointing device
Hardware Recommendations for Windows® Vista / Windows® 7
- Intel Pentium or equivalent processor: 3 GHz
- RAM: 4 GB or more
- Video card: 128 MB RAM or higher
- Color: 32-bit
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
- NET Framework 4.0
- Microsoft DirectX 9.0c or later
- Microsoft Windows® Installer 3.0
- Minimum: 56.6 kbps
- Recommended: DSL, cable modem, T1 or faster